|½ pound (225 g)||Italpasta Traditional Recipe Bow Ties|
|1 tbsp (15 mL)||Italpasta Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1 tbsp (15 g)||unsalted butter|
|1||small onion, finely chopped|
|½ cup (125 mL)||chopped mild pancetta|
|1 cup (250 mL)||fresh or frozen peas|
|2/3 cup (160 mL)||reduced sodium chicken stock|
|6||fresh mint leaves, finely chopped|
|1 tbsp (16 g)||freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for serving|
|salt and pepper|
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil and butter together in a skillet until the butter has melted. Increase the heat to medium, add the onion and pancetta and cook until the pancetta is golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and mint, add the stock and Parmesan; cover and cook on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until the peas are cooked.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, add salt, and cook the bow ties until al dente, 11 minutes. Drain and reserve ¼ cup pasta water.
- Add the pasta to the sauce with ¼ cup of reserved pasta water. Stir for 1 minute. Serve immediately with an extra sprinkling of Parmesan and sprig of mint, if desired.
Calories (per 1/3 recipe) 529.7, Total Fat: 17.7 g, Saturated Fat: 7.0 g, Cholesterol: 26.5 mg, Sodium: 652 mg, Carbohydrates: 73.1 g, Fibre: 5.6 g, Sugars: 6.3 g, Protein: 20.2 g
- To further reduce fat, drain all but 1 tablespoon of pancetta drippings from the skillet once pancetta has rendered
- Herbs like mint are a great way to add flavour without adding salt
- Always choose low or no salt added broths and stocks to control the sodium levels in your meal