|1 lb (454 g)||Italpasta Fettuccine|
|2 lb (1 kg)||fresh mussels|
|2 tbsp (30 mL)||Italpasta Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|½ cup (125 mL)||chorizo sausage, sliced|
|¼ cup (60 mL)||finely chopped carrot|
|¼ cup (60 mL)||finely chopped celery|
|1||ripe plum tomato, seeded and diced|
|2||shallots, finely chopped|
|4||cloves garlic, thinly sliced|
|½ tsp (2 mL)||each salt and pepper|
|¼ tsp (1 mL)||hot pepper flakes|
|pinch||saffron threads (optional)|
|½ cup (125 mL)||chopped fresh parsley leaves|
|½ cup (125 mL)||white wine|
- Inspect the mussels and discard any that have broken shells. Remove the thread-like beard by pulling toward the hinge of the shells until it is released; discard. Wash the mussels under cold running water using a vegetable brush to clean shells.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat. Add the chorizo, carrots, celery, tomatoes, shallots, garlic, salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes and saffron (if using). Cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the mussels and parsley until well combined. Pour in the white wine. Increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, covered, for 10 minutes or until most of the shells are open. Discard any unopened mussels.
- Meanwhile, cook Italpasta Fettuccine in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 7 minutes. Drain well. Place the fettuccine in a large, shallow serving bowl and top with mussels and sauce.
Calories per serving 632, Fat 16 g, Cholesterol 92 mg, Sodium 678 mg, Carbohydrates 69 g, Fibre 3 g, Sugar 2 g, Protein 48 g
- One serving contains 34% of the %DV of Vitamin C.