|1 box (340 g)||Italpasta Gluten Free Penne Rigate|
|2 tbsp (30 mL)||Italpasta Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1||small Spanish onion, finely chopped|
|1||red pepper, finely chopped|
|1||garlic clove, minced|
|1||medium eggplant, peeled and chopped|
|1 tbsp (15 mL)||capers|
|1 tsp (30 mL)||dried thyme|
|2 tbsp (30 mL)||Italpasta Balsamic Vinegar|
|2 tbsp (30 mL)||brown sugar|
|½ cup (125 mL)||ricotta salata or Feta cheese|
|salt and pepper|
- Place eggplant in a colander and season generously with salt. Let the eggplant drain for 1 hour. Squeeze out any remaining liquid and rinse thoroughly under cold water.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, red pepper and garlic; sauté for 10 minutes. Add drained eggplant, capers, thyme, oregano and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar, brown sugar and salt and pepper. Stir in ½ cup water, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water and cook until al dente, 6-8 minutes. Reserve ¼ cup pasta water and drain pasta. Add pasta and pasta water to the skillet with the eggplant mixture and toss to coat. Sprinkle with crumbled ricotta salata or Feta cheese.
- Serve this pasta dish warm, room temperature or cold.
Calories per serving 400, Fat 18 g, Cholesterol 11 mg, Sodium 210 mg, Carbohydrates 58 g, Fibre 4 g, Sugar 8 g, Protein 10 g
- Eggplant is an excellent source of Vitamin K, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Potassium and Manganese
- Capers are an excellent source of Vitamin K and antioxidants.