|1 box (340g)||Italpasta Gluten Free Penne Rigate|
|2 tbsp (30 mL)||Italpasta Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1 (2 L)||large eggplant, chopped into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces, about 8 cups|
|4||garlic cloves, thinly sliced|
|1 tsp (5 mL)||dried oregano leaves|
|pinch||hot pepper flakes (optional)|
|1 jar (680 mL)||Italpasta Marinara Smooth Style Sauce|
|1 can (398 mL)||Italpasta Diced Italian Tomatoes|
|½ cup||torn fresh basil leaves|
|1 cup (250 mL)||ricotta cheese|
|1 ½ cups (375 mL)||shredded mozzarella cheese|
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the eggplant, onion, garlic, oregano, half the salt and hot pepper flakes (if using). Cook, covered, for 10 minutes until softened.
- Add the marinara sauce, diced tomatoes and remaining salt. Simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the basil leaves; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cook Italpasta Gluten Free Penne Rigate in a large pot of boiling salted water for 5 minutes or until tender but still a bit chewy. Toss the penne with the sauce and transfer to a greased 9 x 13-inch (3 L) casserole dish.
- Drop dollops of ricotta over the penne and gently swirl into the dish to create little, cheesy pockets within the casserole. Sprinkle the mozzarella over top. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until bubbling around the edges. Remove foil and broil for 10 minutes or until the top is golden. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Calories per serving 409, Fat 13 g, Cholesterol 23 mg, Sodium 638 mg, Carbohydrates 60 g, Fibre 3 g, Sugar 6 g, Protein 13 g
- One serving contains 24% of the %DV of Calcium.