1 oz (30 g) dried mushrooms
1 pkg (340 g) Italpasta Total Spaghetti
2 tbsp (30 mL) Italpasta Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) Italpasta Tomato Paste
1 can (398 mL) Italpasta Diced Tomatoes
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 large carrot, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped fennel
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb (500 g) mixed mushrooms, chopped
1 tbsp (15 mL) dried Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup (60 mL) red wine
1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable or chicken broth
1 can (398 mL) brown lentils, rinsed and drained
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh parsley
1/3 cup (75 mL) shaved Parmesan cheese
- Pour 1/2 cup (125 mL) boiling water over dried mushrooms. Soak for 15 minutes or until rehydrated. Drain and reserve mushroom liquid. Chop and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, heavy-bottom saucepan set over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, celery, fennel and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- Increase heat to medium-high; add mixed mushrooms, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until mushrooms are golden brown and tender. Stir tomato paste and rehydrated mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes. Add red wine and stock and cook, scraping up any brown bits. Stir in reserved mushroom liquid, diced tomatoes, lentils and bay leaves; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until very thick and flavourful. Discard bay leaves.
- During the last 20 minutes of simmering; cook pasta according to package directions and drain well, reserving 1/3 cup (75 mL) pasta water.
- Toss spaghetti with sauce, reserved pasta water and parsley. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Tip: Substitute chickpeas for the lentils, if desired. For non-vegetarians add sliced cooked chicken to sauce in last 10 minutes of cooking time.
Calories per serving (1/6 recipe): 452; Fat 7.5g; Cholesterol 16mg ; Sodium 493mg; Carbohydrates 72g; Fibre 15.5g; Sugar 8.5g; Protein 19g